Xerox believes there is a huge opportunity for printers to provide digital printing and services. According to the Printing Industries of America/Graphic Arts Technical Foundation's (PIA/GATF)2006 Print Atlas, about 77 percent of the 23,500 commercial printers in the United States have not yet made the move to digital printing.
"This is a single resource that removes the barriers identified by customers to enter the digital print market," said Quincy Allen, president, Xerox Production Systems Group. "It opens the door to new opportunities for commercial printers to complement their offset businesses and capture everything from simple short-run, on-demand digital jobs to more complex and lucrative one-to-one marketing pieces and Web-to-print collaterals. Digital Print Shop in a Box is another valuable tool to help our customers succeed in The New Business of Printing."
Xerox's Digital Print Shop in a Box complements the company's ProfitAcceleratorTM Digital Business Resources collection, the industry's most comprehensive set of business development resources. The offering includes two guides that take a printer through the first months of operating a digital business. The sales and marketing guide is a simple start-up plan that addresses how to train a sales staff for developing a consultative sale that helps build revenue for both offset and digital applications. The operations guide walks a commercial printer through the initial implementation of a unified offset and digital environment. It also pulls together tips that address pricing and personnel, and how to choose the right Xerox FreeFlow® Digital Workflow Collection tools.
The guides direct users through best-practice resources on the CD and the Web from Xerox and leading industry partners. Because Xerox has packaged these resources into one robust collection, print providers can avoid browsing through dozens of materials to decide which to use.
"According to the NAPL State of the Industry Report, printers who increasingly compete on price alone are experiencing eroding profits," said Howard Fenton, NAPL senior consultant, digital technologies and production. "NAPL's State of the Industry research also shows an increasing interest among printers in complementing offset printing with digital printing and services, but respondents report they need help establishing a digital business."
Xerox's Digital Print Shop in a Box resources include:
- A feature offering from XMPie, Inc. called MakeMagic! that allows printers to develop complete one-to-one, self-promotional direct marketing campaigns at no cost using a Web portal or XMPie software solutions. The Web site contains templates, software trial downloads, demos and case studies.
- An easy-to-install Web-to-print solution from NowDocs called NowPrint ASAP. This is a subscription service for print providers who want to offer digital print order submission, catalogs and personalization with a start-up cost of less than $200. The user interface is simple and a printer can do the initial set-up in about 15 minutes.
- Industry guides from Xerox and PIA/GATF for opening new markets.
- Select Xerox FreeFlow workflow software offerings.
- Digital printing tips and resources for the graphic communications industry from RedHotDigital, a Xerox Web site.
- Resources and toolkits designed specifically for commercial printers from Adobe Systems Incorporated and Pantone, Inc.
Xerox's Digital Print Shop in a Box will be available at o cost to new and existing Xerox printing customers in North America beginning in October, with global distribution planned for 2008. It will be showcased in Xerox booth No. 1219 at Graph Expo, North America's largest printing show, Sept. 9 – 12 in Chicago, and is available through Xerox sales representatives.
For more information about Xerox production systems and services, visit www.xerox.com/tr/products or call 800-ASK-XEROX.
Laura Mergelas, Xerox Canada, 416-733-6216, email@example.com
Amy Clark, Environics Communications, 416-969-2758, firstname.lastname@example.org
NOTE TO EDITORS: Visit Xerox's booth No. 1219, Sept. 9-12, at Graph Expo 2007, McCormick Place South, Chicago. For more information on Xerox, product photography and to receive its RSS news feeds, visit www.xerox.com/news. XEROX®, ProfitAcceleratorTM and FreeFlow® are trademarks of XEROX CORPORATION. DocuColour® is used under license. Prices, features, specifications, capabilities, appearance and availability of Xerox products and services are subject to change without notice.